what's your weather 2024

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Logan, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

@S-H I agree wildlife can pass as the silent victims, I really hope they have organised groups looking out for them.:fingerscrossed:

Pacnorwest and S-H like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Thanx for all your kind comments. I try not to think about the new Season since climate change,
    It’s a very stressful season always buzzy keeping the pasture grass down low and garden watered and surrounding perimeter. Even when smoke is nearby it still leaves tiny ash particles inside the house. I have to seal the windows . Close and pack the chimney’s air tight . And block all the roof vents. Ash gets in everything and covers the plants blocks photosynthesis . Special Masks are a necessity .

The entire western part of the country has hundreds of wildfires burning at this very moment. This is a huge problem and the federal and state governments need to step in and plan better pre-season wildfire prevention and protection. If that means putting all electrical wires underground then so be it. The cost to any one or any thing caught in these wildfires mostly started by electrial wires or lightening is unconscionable. Planning better for agriculture resources , replanting areas with fire resistant trees and safer plant materials. I’m beginning to dread for spring to come because of the wildfires that accompany the summer season. Every year they get worse as the extreme climate continues to be more of a hazard for any living thing.
    Also these huge wildfires contain their own weather setting up fire tornados winds become a hazard which carry ash miles and start more fires.
    This is like a war every year across 9 western states in the US and Canada. It’s time to look for solutions to take preventative measures and laws to stop wildfires in the future.

Several blazes, including a 'megafire,' growing in Oregon amid dry fuel and high temperatures .
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-oregon-dry-fuel-high-temperatures-rcna162031

Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
    Oreti, Logan and Daniel W like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Today it was nice here, low to mid 70s. Lovely day here. Good for painting the house, which they did.

@Pacnorwest I definitely feel your pain!

I don't know if this helps, but I keep a box fan air filter like this. It helps a lot when there is smoke outside. I used an old unused box fan for this which made it cheaper.

I also have a continuous air filter in my bedroom (the Levoit in the video but mine is labeled Winix), and air filters on my ceiling fans like these. To be honest, the ceiling fan air filters might be a useless gimmick, I don't know. I do know that they collect a lot of dust.

I've been dealing with pulmonary fibrosis (currently improved over this winter) so I obsess over air quality.

The Winix has an air quality monitor and revs up when there is an air issue. That is mainly when Rufus passes gas (funny but true). It's only big enough for one room.

4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Okay, I was just thinking, that since we all have collectively caused climate change - Why can't we now do something to correct it artificially also? In for a penny in for pound. So let's go into it all the way. And start increasing the amount of rainfall in grassland areas which have more tendency for fires in the dry season. And for wet areas, make the clouds rain before they reach any such place that'll result in flooding.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
    Logan likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Recently I was reading about aquaculture, growing seaweed to be consumed as a vegetable. What prompted me, was I was eating some kelp fritters that were surprisingly tasty, and also I like the fried seaweed snacks that I find in some stores.

They promote sea vegetables because they are very nutritious, and there is zero chemical input into growing them. No fertilizer or pesticides. They pull nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus put of the water, so reduce pollution. As opposed to land farming that adds those, and pesticides, to the environment. They also pull CO2 out of the ocean. As opposed to land farming practices that increase CO2. So large scale aquaculture of seaweed could have a bit of a role in CO2 mitigation.

(Im a skeptic of everything. For example, boats are used for harvesting, then they need land transportation. Also, if the seaweed absorbs NPK from seawater, what about mercury, lead, cadmium, and PCBs? What about disease bacteria?). Still, I like eating it. Also, nori used as sushi wrappers. (I could see using nori as a burrito wrapper, except it's not durable so the burrito would have to be sliced, like sushi.)

Sea vegetables are more common in some East Asian cultures, compared to places further West. Admittedly, I like eating some strange foods that others won't try. But it is a thought..

S-H, Oreti, Pacnorwest and 1 other person like this.
  6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Good morning all, light cloud and light winds temp 15c to 22c
    Precipitation 26%
    Sunrise 5.15
    Sunset 21.12

S-H, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

It is a very nice breezy day and this evening also a bit cool. This is the weather Oregon had before climate change. IMG_2033.jpeg

@Daniel W thanks for the air filter info. I,will look into those. Thanx.
    Take care I am saddened to hear of your health condition. Stay safe …Gentle hugs.

S-H, Logan, Daniel W and 1 other person like this.
  8. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

You all have so much to cope with...over here one half of the country are complaining about the rain and lack of Summer and the other half ( me included) about how dry our gardens are.....shame on us.:(

Screenshot_2024-07-23-07-14-05.png

S-H and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

IMG_8741.jpeg

Not a bad morning at all. After making dog food this am, I'll take a walk. Then cut down (some of) the thistle forest that formed this summer. And cone up with protection for the growing green beans. And harvest more garlic.

10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

That's actually s much better solution in comparison to eating bugs like locusts (grasshoppers) - Which everyone says we would need to get accustomed to, when food runs out, as conventional agriculture would collapse, (be it for whatever reason)...

Oreti, Daniel W and Logan like this.
  11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

This morning had some rain but it cleared by 9am. Rest of the day was sunny intervals and a gentle breeze from the north north west temp 20c feels like 22c

S-H, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sounds like a buzzy morning. Your back must be getting better ? Hope your off the walker. Take it easy .

Weather here is just like my neighbor Daniel’s today. Pleasant high 80F. Another nice sunny pleasant day. Not to hot, not to cold, it’s just right ! This is our normal weather before climate change for this time of year .

@Oreti I hope you get more than just a sprinkle of rain soon. Your garden is so healthy and beautiful. Most plants are well established and maybe can cope with a bit of dry conditions. Setting you free from worry?
    No problem it’s normal to complain bout zero rain. Plants can get a bit weary.
    Summer’s here we rarely get any rain from July to dec. But usually cooler temps .

Oreti, S-H and Logan like this.
  13. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Last edited: Jul 24, 2024
    S-H, Oreti, Logan and 1 other person like this.
  14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Good morning all, partly cloudy and light winds temp 15c to 22c
    Precipitation 0%
    Sunrise 5.17
    Sunset 21.11

Oreti, S-H and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Screenshot_2024-07-24-07-10-31.png

Logan, Pacnorwest and S-H like this.