what's your weather 2024

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Logan, Mar 25, 2024.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Sea conditions of Karachi when our monsoon season is in full swing. All boats are ordered not to head out into the open sea. Only heavy maritime traffic, and the Navy is out at sea.

Screenshot_20240731-213736.jpg

Meanwhile, in the city of Lahore, 44 year old record of rain just broke - With 360mm (14 inches) of rain in just 3 hours...

[​IMG]

So tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, all the rain clouds coming South from up country, and the monsoon clouds going up North from the Arabian sea. Will now collide and create a mega storm over Karachi!

Welcome to extreme weather, thanks to climate change - Here we were, just a few days ago, almost getting roasted alive. And now such a torrential downpour, that everything will now soon be underwater.

:smt045

Last edited: Aug 1, 2024
    Oreti and Logan like this.
  2. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

The Tillamook Burn was a big series of fires in the 1930s. You probably know more about that than I do. There were also other, vast, conflagrations.

https://www.inlander.com/comment/th...megafires-are-something-entirely-new-22556489

But you are absolutely right. The "New Normal" is too worrisome and terrible. And sad.

You too PacNW. Stay safe and not too hot. Be sure to have some air filters set up.

I'm relieved all of our updating was completed. The house is safer and much cooler. Nothing is a fortress, but these things helped. Fixing the deficiencies from yesteryears. It was expensive but I hope, worth it. There only a bit more to do, I hope. Some has to be me, if I'm able. I hope new construction at least is more conscious of weather and fire, for the next generations. Also, zoning and builders codes need updating, etc. Although a lot of people would be against it (most of my neighbors).

I want to go out and pick some fresh rosemary, but it's so hot! I don't know...

Oreti, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Good morning all, clear sky and light winds temp 15c to 25c
    Precipitation 0%
    Sunrise 5.31
    Sunset 20.56
    Didn't get any rain yesterday.

Stay safe everyone.

Pacnorwest and Oreti like this.
  4. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Screenshot_2024-08-02-07-16-42.png

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sunny and light winds from the west temp 14c feels like 16c
    IMG_20240802_072443_(864_x_1536_pixel).jpg

S-H, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

What a memorable vision to experience right out from your sparkling window. :smt023:setf_016:

7. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Couldn't add a pic from our front windows ( east) as we have full sunshine and they don't come out well so will include one from an upstairs window that faces more to the west.

IMG_20240802_075206.jpg

Ok then here's the front pic attempt!!:smt044..not good!!!

IMG_20240802_075352.jpg

Logan, Pacnorwest and S-H like this.
  8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

IMG_20240802_112339_572_copy_2296x1008.jpg IMG_20240802_112514_414_copy_2296x1008.jpg

Day started out overcast, and not too hot either.

Then at around midday it started raining, and is continuing since - And is said to continue like this for the next 10 days!

Everybody is very happy over here, as the heatwave has now ended.

IMG_20240802_123430_972_copy_2296x1008.jpg
    IMG_20240802_122922_154_copy_2296x1008.jpg

9. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

We just had a severe thunderstorm with winds in the 50mph blast through along with gusts up to 90 mph. Wow! It moved fast, lasting about an hour, but left behind devastating damage to structures and trees.
    We feel so very fortunate that we did not have any bad damage. We lost a few sizable branches from the big Sycamore and a lot of sticks, leaves and debris to clean up.
    It had been 100 degrees that afternoon before the winds and rain arrived!

Attached Files:

Oreti, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Kay very close call. You’re in a very tough weather pattern most of the summer.
    Take care and stay safe.

in our state we have thunderstorms that cause huge forest wildfires that spread into cities. See pic of wild fires now burning in Oregon , Washington, and Western Idaho from dry lightening storms.

IMG_2432.jpeg

IMG_2433.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2024
    Oreti, Kay and Logan like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Oreti your pics from your front window are outstanding. I like the sun rays shinning thru the window it looks magical behind that fancy vase , it looks familiar?

@Logan so many lovely flowers to choose from your garden pics. Your garden pics highlight your passion and enthusiasm.

Oreti, Kay and Logan like this.
  12. Kay

PAC- it’ has been a stormy spring/ summer for us , for sure. We’ve been grateful for a lot the rain though.
    On the subject of fires, my family has an acreage in the mountains outside of Estes Park Colorado. My sister had a visit planned, but there are two fires burning , causing authorities to close two highways, one of which our property is on. That is scary and it’s not the first time we’ve dealt with it.
    I didn’t get an update yet today, but I’m praying they can get these burns under control!

Oreti, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thank you Pacnorwest.

Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

@Kay the wildfires in parts of Colorado have also been impacted by climate change just as it has here in the PNW. I have family in Colorado away from the wildfires . It’s a wildfires are not under control, a dangerous area from what was on the news. I hope your family stays safe and your property in that area too. These wild fires are incredibly scary and becoming more common every year. Unfortunately.

When I lived in Colorado it rained every afternoon in summers landscape was always green and lush. Irrigation ditches were always full of water. Now water rights has developed into legal issues for farmers. Drought has increasingly created extreme dry conditions leaving the landscape brown, dry and brittle. Very sad , Colorado was always so green and beautiful.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
  15. Kay

I lived in Estes in the 80s, ( most of my 20s.)
    I remember summer afternoon rains too. I really don’t think there was a drought at all.

The winters out there were great compared to what we experience in Nebraska! We did have a lot of snow, but not the bitter cold and ice!
    I hope for rain out there and the fires to be brought under control and extinguished. It’s heart breaking for people to be in fire danger. I think my sis will drive out when they hear that the highway is open.

Oreti, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.