Where Our Gardening Happens.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sydney Smith, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Netty, Droopy, all.
    Firstly the Wistaria. The Rail Station goes way back in years - pre 1900 almost certainly - the house has that Victorian look does it not?. The Wistarias base is quite a size and goodness knows how many years it has been there. I have one here growing on a pergola but keep it well under control - they can get really big and just keep on going so I have read - have also read stories of them completely encircling the outsides of old cottages - in some cases largely contributing to keeping them upright. Also have a nice Grape Vine growing against the wall at the back facing south which produces sweet (though not large) edible fruit - think the size of the fruit is due to my leaving them to just grow naturally and not thinning the bunches - grown mainly for ornamental reasons and the Blackbirds love the grapes.
    Ref the small Chestnuts - I mentioned that I had other Trees also in about the same size pots and though root bound they always seemed happy enough as long as they did not dry out - a little feed now and then was no doubt welcomed. All the forest trees made good subjects and when a suitable height and the stems still thin wiring of them can produce some interesting shapes - I always liked the spirals especially. Having taped (at intervals) the stiffish wire to them great care must be taken to form/bend this and not to produce too sharp curves whatever. One Tree I had in a larger square concrete pot I allowed to grow to about six feet tall since I liked its foliage - this was an Ailanthus and I have an interesting story to tell some time about it and Frogs. Another was a Robinia which again looked good in a pot.
    Syd.

Droopy likes this.
  2. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Bip, I'm sure you will be how much your second summer plantings will look. Can't wait to see more photos this summer.

Droppy I am sure it is your fabulous gardens that were the start of my search for hostas and hardy orchids. Shame on you for corrupting my gardening sense in such a positive way :D :D

Sydney that wisteria is lovely.

Droopy likes this.
  3. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Droopy I love every little part of your garden.
    Living in a tropical area I really miss those cool growing hostas,especially the coloured leafed ones.
    That is a cute waterfall too...called a shishi-odoshi or deer scarer, they are fined tuned to owners needs, the noise and splash which is relaxing to us, will scare deer and other mischievous creatures.In a previous property we had one to help keep the crows off the tomato patch which was nearby.It did help a little.
    Sydney, the wisteria is beautiful,so neatly trained and full of flower, a real treat to see...thankyou.

Droopy and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Super-looking garden, Droopy. Your stuff all looks smashing, but what I notice most is how your hosta's are progressing. I can recall when some of those were tee-ninetsy little things.

Droopy likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi all, I love this thread! It makes me realize how much & yet how little I know about everyone's garden. I have seen bits & pieces over the years I have been a member, but rarely a set of pix of the whole garden. Thank you Sidney for starting this thread.

6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. I am so pleased to see the Topic has started again because like all the other posters it is a real pleasure to see all these cracking plants and gardens and appreciate the thought and effort (also joy for sure) that went into making them.I feel certain there's many more we can all enjoy and talk about.
    jewell. Thanks you for the kind comment ref the Wistaria but may I please point something out again. When I mentioned it first in this Topic on Dec 13 and sent the photo on Dec 14 I stated that it was growing on the front of the Station Building at Colchester near where we lived. It is not growing in my own garden so I cannot take credit for it. Good to talk to you again - looking forward to more.
    CM. Good to talk to you again also - had not heard from you for a while - was enjoying our little natters. As stated I also am enjoying this and hope it will continue.
    Very best wishes to all. Syd.

7. Cayuga Morning

Syd--I have been enjoying our chats as well (we chat on this side of the pond. I guess when this email reaches your side, it becomes a natter). Anyway I have been a mite bit swamped what with the xmas holidays, two snow storms & a son applying for college. I haven't been checking Gardenstew so often.

I do enjoy seeing others' gardens! We have some beauts on this site! Cherylad's, Netty's, yours, Philip Nulty's, Jewell's. Oh! & Droopy's & the Bip's. There are many more that I haven't named.

8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi CM. It is for sure a busy busy time of year without any "extras" cropping up - hope all your problems are now resolved. Ref our natters or chats they are all enjoyable and my thoughts on not seeing you for a time were wondering if you were well - delighted if we can continue and share garden experiences - natterings + chats = chatterings?.
    As you said theres many more lovely plants and gardens out there and t'would be lovely to hear of them and see some pics. Have one of that strip of land attached to us next the woods so will sort out and send.
    An edit this. Heres the pic as promised above of that strip of land. It was taken earlier this year and before the Deer ate all the Hostas and other small plants. It is just shrubs mainly now but theres some nice "wildies" coming through, Feverfew, Geraniums, Evening Primrose etc. Syd.

[​IMG]
    Strip of land we use between our garden and woods. ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

Droopy likes this.
  9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. Have found some pics of the first garden I ever made. In the topic "Do you remember your first attempts at flower gardening" I told of and showed a pic of it right at the start in 1957 - just an area of mowed meadow grass with a few small beds of annuals. These pics (more happened than happens) show it as it progressed and more or less in its final stages when we moved. Will not just send them but if anyone would like to see then please do say. Syd.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'd like to see them Syd! :)

11. Cayuga Morning

I'd like to see them too!

12. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Netty - CM. Thanks to you both - will post those pics on this topic tomorrow. Its so nice to see an interest and so not nice to post and see ones efforts virtually ignored (that is not including the regular posters) in term of comment. Bless you both. Syd.

13. Cayuga Morning

Syney--Yes, we all like to get feedback fro our postings. Sometimes I am surprised by the amount of feedback & sometimes I am surprised by the lack of it. One thing I try to do is check the unanswered posts box from time to time.

My personal situation is that I work 40-60 hours outside the home. Stew is one of the ways I relax, but I can't keep up with all postings. Do not take it amiss if I do not respond to one of your postings. If you really would like my input, please feel free to private message me. I have done that with other folks & they have been very responsive.

14. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hello everybody! I must've missed this thread earlier, and have been thoroughly enjoying everybody's photos. This is fun in the winter, to go back through my pics to share some of my garden beds.
    It's amazing to me how much my gardens have changed, grown, and evolved over the years!
    [​IMG]
    Dogwood, Hostas & birdbath ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Japanese Maple 11/11/11 ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

[​IMG]
    south back garden ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

[​IMG]
    south back garden ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

[​IMG]
    love my Hostas! ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

[​IMG]
    another view of new bed ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Hosta, Heuchera in back yard ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

[​IMG]
    front bed ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Crabapple in fragrant bloom ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

[​IMG]
    clematis in Spring ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

15. Cayuga Morning

Kay---S-I-G-H-!-!-!