Winter Sowing

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by toni, Jul 29, 2007.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I have Winter sown for years. First learned about it on Garden web. Use to trade seeds and plants. But got stiffed too many times. but like I posted going to WS some rubeckias. Got pots with soil all ready.

2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I always sow for winter,..as it is my Digitalis are approx six inches high,..they will not be bothered with the frost or snow,..last winter i did likewise and we had -19C,..all the plants survived,..i also have Delphinium fairly well established,..Hollyhocks and Cleome.

[​IMG]
    15th Sept,..Hollyhock. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Digitalis,..15th Sept. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Delphinium,..15th Sept. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    30th August. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    30th August,..Cleome. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

Karrma likes this.
  3. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

I LOVE winter sowing! It :-D gives me something to do in the drab old winter and it's cheap! I only use milk jugs, tho, because the rest are too small for me to handle. Last year I had 70 containers full of perennials. I'm planting out and potting up most of the summer and giving lots away so my friends are only too glad to save me the gallon milk jugs. Going to be doing it again right after Christmas.

4. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

This is last year's winter sowing jug ghetto. I got tons of seedlings mostly perennials this year. Going to do it again next year!

[​IMG]
    WS Jug Ghetto ( photo / image / picture from muddypaws's Garden )

Advertisement
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Muddypaws,
    i was lucky enough to spot a large empty water container when i was out boating,..it holds 19 Liters/4 Gallons,..and some 18 inches high,..some days later i found another,..of course i went back several times,..alas no more,..but the usefulness of these is beyond description,..i just cut off the bottom,..ideal for all cuttings or seedlings,..as is your plastic bottles.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )