Wish me luck! *surgery on Wednesday

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, May 30, 2014.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm so glad the surgery went so well for you Ronni and that the pain isn't unbearable. Just take things easy - no rushing around doing things for others. Rest is a great healer. When do you go back to see the doctors again to see how things are progressing?

2. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Sounds like your spirits are high, and that will surely help with your healing. Hope you are better than new in no time.

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks guys. Eileen, I go back in two weeks. They made the follow up appointment before I ever had the surgery :)

I got a surprisingly good night's sleep last night in my own bed. I sure didn't sleep well in the hospital. I was exhausted....a hospital is NO place to get a decent sleep! Even though I wasn't sleeping very well, it was made even worse by the nurse coming to check my vitals and do other stuff every couple hours. :(

It was just lovely to curl up in my nice comfy bed and settle in for the night!

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I am so glad to hear the surgery went well and that you are at home. I think hospitals buy the most uncomfortable bed so , even hypochondriacs, are eager to leave. Just take it easy and don't over-do. Sending hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Advertisement
  5. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Nothing better then your own bed Told DR friend mattress like sleeping on a board. and waking me up at 3 am to weigh me????

6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks all. Day 6 post-op. It's been weird yesterday and today, not prepping to head to work. But I sure am glad I'm not going in...I wouldn't be much use.

Don't get me wrong, I'm feeling a bit better each day, but still, this stuff ain't for sissies! I realized at some point exactly what all I have going on down there. I have three external or sort-of external incision sites, and then, if I understood what the doctor said, I have 4 more suture sites internally.

That's a lot going on. No wonder that when I stand for too long, it feels like all my internal organs are trying to fall out! It's not a pleasant feeling, that's for sure. But the good thing is that each day I stay erect for a little longer before starting to feel like that, and lying down for a while sort of re-sets everything and I can stand again.

I have a week to get to the point where I can stand for long enough to do my job. Positive thoughts that my recovery going according to plan, and I actually make it back to work within that timeframe ..... I MUST start earning again!!

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thinking of you, Ronni. I, too, hope you are feeling up to going back to work next week. It does feel odd to not be working or at least doing something, huh?
    Sorry I missed you posing you had your surgery and sending you get well wishes sooner, though.

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Ronni...I am so sorry that you have to go through this but I am glad you are getting stronger. Not for sissies, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....I might have to re-think this then. Take care and I do hope you have someone helping to care for you, that does not sound like a recovery you want to do by yourself with being so weak and not able to stand for long. Get well...

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Sherry, while the procedure and convalescence hasn't been fun, I don't regret for one minute getting this done! The symptoms I had been dealing with for some years before (and in the interests of not getting horribly TMI here I won't list them all ;) ) have gone. The relief of that is huge! And the discomfort is SO worth it to me to not have to deal with that variety of symptoms anymore.

Even if the procedure ultimately fails, (which statistically it will in a small percentage of cases) it will STILL have been worth being symptom free for the time in between. Don't let my complaining about the discomfort sway you from getting more information and going ahead with this for yourself, if it's medically indicated. It's certainly been worth it to me, and I'm only a week in and hardly doing any of my normal things. I am so looking forward to the increase in my quality of life once I'm back full swing!

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you for the information Ronni....just keep getting better every day... :-D

11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ronni so glad to hear that your recovery is going OK. That is a lot to take in in one operation. So keep pampering your self and having such a great out look. You will be back to kicking butt soon. ;)

12. beenie

beenie New Seed

I wish you all the luck and blessings I can and then some.

13. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Well, I went back to work last week and managed to make it through the week without incident. I just wish I didn't wipe out so thoroughly by the end of the day. I'm used to coming home from work and helping Paige with the kids while she cooks dinner, cleaning up after dinner, taking care of the dogs, then cleaning up the downstairs after they go up to put the kids to bed so it's fresh for Paige in the morning.

I've been getting home and immediately laying down till dinner. Then I'm barely able to clean up after dinner before stumbling upstairs to go lay down again. I keep falling asleep (like REALLY asleep, not just a little cat nap) long before bedtime, waking up several hours later, confused, in all my clothes, and wondering what the heck happened. Then I'll stumble into bed for real and sleep again till I have to get up in the morning. I NEVER do that. I sleep 7 or 8 hrs at night typically, I don't nap during the day, and I'm fine. But not now. And I want that all to be over, to be done. I want my routine back. I don't want to be this tired.

But I'm trying to listen to my body, and doing what seems to be indicated, whether that's laying off some of the stuff I typically do at work, or lying down when I come home, and in some cases lying down for a little while at a client's house in the middle of the day. I'm just not used to being so limited physically and it's really annoying. According to my doctor though, it's very typical, and I'm doing fine!

carolyn likes this.
  14. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow, You will get back to normal. It just takes time. Just do what your body tells you and soon enough you will have the strength to do just one more thing before taking that nap. Then soon enough you will forget the nap.

15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Post up checkup with the urologist. He says I'm healing exceptionally well, better even than many of his younger patients, and that so far things are "just perfect" and he wished all his patients did this well. I'm pretty tickled.

I have an appointment with my GYN tomorrow, so he can check his part of the procedure. I have one external suture that's bothering me a bit. I asked Dr. Lee (the urologist) if he could remove it. He said he'd rather wait till I see Wingo, the GYN, because they're his stitches. Who knew sutures were proprietary? ;) They're supposedly dissolvable, but they sure are taking their time!

Anyway, I'm very pleased with my good report. Fingers crossed that the GYN re-check is as positive!!