Wish me luck! *surgery on Wednesday

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, May 30, 2014.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh! You re doing well my dear friend. Bless you. As you know we really were worried about you but I think we are a little relieved now.

2. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Awww. Thanks Barb. :smt052

I really am doing well all things considered, and I have to keep reminding myself of that fact, because I get SO frustrated at not feeling back to normal yet. Still very tired at night, but that's slowly improving. I guess the older I get the more slowly I rebound from physical trauma. One of my dear friends who's also a nurse, and who I was complaining to about how long this is taking, reminded me that surgery is just planned trauma, and that no matter how it happens, physical trauma is very taxing on a body, and that it takes time to heal from it, far beyond things like incisions turning to scars, bones knitting back together etc.

It makes sense. When we sleep is the only time cell renewal occurs, so when you're hurt, whether it's after surgery or injury or whatever, the body needs to replace those cells, and so demands much more sleep in order to do their job.

Just.....hurry up! I have things to do!!
    ;)

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Hi Ronni...I hope your not posting means you are busy catching up on things and you are feeling better every day...take care

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

So....I have another surgery scheduled on Friday. :( I had thought, after the prolapse surgery, that I was all done.

There's a slight issue with the eye surgery that was done. Nothing major, and no more cancer, but he needs to go in and do a small repair of the original surgery.

He reassured me that it will be nowhere near as extensive as the surgery to remove the cancer. A small incision, a couple of stitches and he's done. He warned me that it might cause a blackening of my eye area, like someone's punched me, but he can't predict that, so we'll just have to see.

Friday morning, 7.00 a.m. WHY do surgeons around here have to start so dang early??? :( It wouldn't be so bad except I have to fast (because of the anesthesia) before the procedure, so I can't even have my morning coffee!!
    :smt089 :smt088

Advertisement
  5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Hopefully this is all done after Friday's surgery and you can rest and heal...take care and prayers said for you..

6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm sorry you have to have more surgery but the plus is that he said 'minor' surgery. I feel for you on the 'fasting' thing too. I have to have fasting blood testing done every 3 months and it stinks not to be able to have my coffee.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If I could Ronni I'd be waiting outside the hospital for you on Friday with a BIG frothy coffee - you deserve one!! I hope all goes well for you and that you'll soon be home and feeling on top form.

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks all. And thanks eileen, I could sure you that coffee right now!!

<yawn> I am exhausted. I don't sleep well before these things. Well, at least I'll sleep after.

Here I go, leaving in a few minutes. I'm tired, un-coffeed and grumpy.....bring on the drugs!

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have never had a cup of coffee even though my husband drinks it. It has never smelled good to even try it.
    Good luck on your surgery and enjoy that coffee when you are back home... take it easy and let yourself heal...

10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Aaaaaaand......20 teeny tiny stitches later, I'm done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm fine, just tired from tossing and turning all night, and still a bit loopy from the drugs. I'm numbed up all around my eye, so I can't feel anything right now. Plus they gave me a heavy duty pain pill that will last till around 4.00ish. I'll let you know then if I'm climbing the walls, ;) but I don't think I will be. Even after the last surgery which was much more invasive and extensive, there wasn't a whole lot of pain.

About to crawl into bed and sleep for as long as I can. I've learned that the more I sleep in the first 24 hours after one of these procedures, the faster I feel more normal. The drugs really do a number on my system, making me feel all kinds of goofy and sluggish and generally not myself. So I'm going to sleep it all off! :stew1:

11. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Yes When have face surgery your Mate gets strange looks. Mine Did had plastic surgery from Car accident. Very small lady gave him he** . Called him a big bully. Hope you heal fast. And sit back and rest.

12. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I'm really impressed with my eye surgeon. Here's a shot of the sutures a few days after the surgery. It's amazing how delicately he stitched me up, how fine the suture material is and how tiny the stitches are!

[​IMG]

And then here's a shot of the area after the stitches were removed. My Doc is really really pleased at how well I've healed. You can barely see the scar even just 10 days after the surgery, so I imagine after the area has had a few months to heal further and for the swelling and such to go completely away, it will hardly be visible at all!

[​IMG]

carolyn likes this.
  13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

That is wonderful that the doctor is pleased and thinks it will not leave a scar. He did a great job and you are healing nicely... How are you doing with the other surgery?

14. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I sure hope this is the end of surgery for you. You've been through a lot lately.
    When you finish that coffee pour yourself a glass of wine. You deserve it.

15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Pretty well, thanks for asking. :)

I saw the doctor last week for a 3rd post-op checkup. I still have some very slight internal swelling, which is normal, and he's pleased with how I'm doing.

He said give it a couple more weeks and I can start power-lifting and running marathons again.....yeah, like I was doing before, right? ;) NOT!

The only complaint I have is that I still haven't recovered all my energy. I get tired faster than I used to. He said that will go away too, given another month or two. That even though it didn't look like it (no huge incision running across my abdomen) I had major surgery, and it takes awhile to come back from that.

Yeah. It does. It just needs to hurry up!! :stew1: