Your Favorite Roses?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by jnnwyman, Apr 15, 2006.

1. catkins

catkins Seedling

Well done to you !! I bet they are lovely
    catkins

2. nepala

nepala New Seed

Hi ! all

My Favorite Flower is red Rose.

I am fallen in LOVE

LOVE !!! LOVE!!! LOVE!!!

that's Y I love Red Rose

3. catkins

catkins Seedling

Wow!! you must be in love, you posted it twice. Ok spill the beans then.I want all the details :D :D :D

4. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I've never had roses before, so I'm having to learn how to care for them - thanks for the helpful links, much better than the "just put lots of manure on 'em" advice I got from my neighbor. I have no idea what kinds they are - there's one tall/large one with huge pink blooms, three miniature roses and two that have all the characteristics of rosebushes except I have yet to see a single blossom... I'm tending them and giving them one more year to show me some flowers or they're going to have to give up their space to something new.

Advertisement
  5. Jitterbug

Jitterbug New Seed

I prefer tea roses, two of my favorites are Mr. Lincoln, a beautiful red, and one called Love and Peace, yellowish with rosey edges.

6. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

OK I love all teas! Heres some right out of my garden!
    My Climbing Golden Glow
    [​IMG]

Blue Girl
    [​IMG]

Chrysler Imperial
    [​IMG]

And my Unknown Red...(yes its back to unknown because when I compared this pic to a Don Juan...they look nothing alike..>sigh<)
    [​IMG]

7. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Denee I love your rose pics!! They are absolutely gorgeous!! Oh how I wish I could do as good as you with roses!!

8. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I pick off the yellow leaves, keep them clear of bugs, water them everyday and dead head them the day after the blooms start to die. I think its pretty easy but then again, Ive killed hundreds before these! LOL

9. catkins

catkins Seedling

Omg, gorgeus!!! those red ones are beautifu, its my first year for climbers, at the moment they are still stubby, with an odd sprout here and there!
    Catkins

10. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I have to run off to work now but when I get home Ill give as much info on my Golden Glow as you can handle! HA!

11. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

OK now to the Golden Glow!

First Its a climber. Its a "everblooming", a Hybrid tea. The buds are deep yellow with a hint of orange. You see how it opens but the day before it dies, it looks like a totally differnt rose. It becomes a meduim yellow and fades to light yellow. The above bloom is unusually large for this rose. It was the first bloom after I feed them Miracle Grow. HAHA!

I dont know what info you wanted but thats what I have.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Pinki,
    The only thing you didn't tell me was about it's fragrance. I wonder if it's a strong one and the nature of it's fragrance if there is one.
    BTW...do these rose flowers open completely wide before dying?
    Thanks again, it was nice of you to take the time to adress this request.
    I don't know if I shall ever buy another rose, but i do keep an eye open... ;)

13. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Yes it do open wide. I missed taking a pic of it competely open because of the rain. But I have more buds out there. As for the scent.... LOL This was the only one that has made it to full bloom to be dead headed(today). It started off behind my other roses. It had one of the first buds but the stupid Black Spotted Cucumber Beetles got to it and ate to a nub. Then it bloomed two more buds that bearly opened before the high winds took them off. The reason this one survived is because my wisteria has grown enough to protect the roses for the most part from the winds coming in from the west. Its the winds from the east that I have to worry about now! :rolleyes:

Ill sniff it for you when the next one opens and let you know.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

yellow rose

hee hee hee... ok. Thanks for your info and ...get that little sniffer ready.
    I think that just saying that you need to sniff it already tells me that the rose doesn't have a "strong" scent. Having said that, sometimes it's the delicate smells that are then most charming.

15. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Well it sits right next to my Blue Girl which has a strong scent. But with my Chrysler Imperial and the red climber blooming in the garden, I cant smell any of them when the wind blows except for those two. LOL It just hasnt gotten that far yet! Its full of buds so Ill be able to tell you soon! Also Ill get out there tomorrow (if it doesnt rain) to get a pic of the prettiest bud for you. They are orange! Pretty.