Your WORST garden habits...

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Green_Numb, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I do get behind on weeding but I do like to weed...it relaxes me, just like planting.. right now I can't think of anything but I bet my husband could...ha,ha...I carry a pail around with me to throw the weeds in...

2. riragirl

riragirl New Seed

I am so lucky that I don't have to deal with weeds. I grow everything in containers.

One of the things that I have to work on is not to overwater my plants.

3. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Gosh where do I start?
    Biggest sin - I tend to neglect my perennials because I always wait something like three to four years before I divide and feed them properly when I should be doing it every second year.
    I do not like taking care of my daughters roses...
    I do not mind weeding - very little weeds in my garden since I use mulch almost everywhere that I can.
    I always have a lot of plans for my garden and so little get carried out.
    Not cleaning the garden tools immediately after use. THis is quite a bad one since I still need to clean and sharpen tools before I can use them again and with dirt that hardened on the tools I actually make it harder to clean.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I think that my two worst habits are not putting things away immediately after I finish using them, and the second bad habit is weeding--I can't just sit and take a break, do you know what I mean? I sit down with a cup of tea under the parasol for a little break and my eyes just go on auto-pilot and begin scanning. It isn't long before they see something to pull and then the urge to "just get up again for a second to pull that" totally takes over...and the next thing that I know, my tea is cold and my bride is hot (under the collar). :-?

Advertisement
  5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Sjoerd, I can relate to that scanning behavior (though I'm a solo gardening so no one gets upset when I leave my break and start up again!!).

A bad habit that I have (I am working on it!) is ... being more aware of all the stuff I still have to do rather than what I have accomplished. So sometimes I feel discouraged. I will also work myself into complete exhaustion, if I'm not careful!

6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Sjoerd and Daisybeans I really relate to the scanning behavior. I would like just one day to get to work with clean fingernails. Seems I can't even make it out to the car without pulling a weed or two (I will even detour through the back yard on my way to the car.) My worst behavior and the one that makes me most guilty is the "slug tossing". Even though five of the six neighbors that border our little lot have overgrown lawns and brambles tossing slugs seems a very guilty pleasure. Lately have been getting braver and am sqishing some of them...if they aren't too big.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Haha Jewell! I pull a weed on my way to the car too. How about pulling weeds at friend's houses or RESTAURANTS??? If I see a weed, I have to stop myself from pulling it out... hee hee... we are a funny crew. Clean fingernails in Spring and Summer, constant challenge...

8. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I knew I had one, just took me while to think. Here goes it-I plant flowers by themselves rather then in groups-which would really make them look a whole bunch more pretty (how bout that english :) ) And of course, as everyone else, I hate weeding and if their not kept up on they get away so fast.

9. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Weeding would definitely be mine. I always see them coming up and tell myself I'll get to them later, mostly because I'm a little lazy, but I also want to see what they are and look like when they are full grown. Usually by that time they have basically taken over and that's when I get around to doing it, lol. :D

10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Daisybeans - My husband and son have scolded me for weeding public places too. He walked way ahead of me :D when I picked up a few nastursium seeds on the boardwalk that had fallen from the planters and hadn't rolled through the boards into the Sound. The seagulls hadn't gotten to them yet so... They are sprouting out front on the public street in front of our house now. Just moved them a bit. :stew1:

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

hahahaha!! I can just imagine that scene, Jewell! Good for you! If I were there, I'd have gotten all excited along with you. Then they really would have walked ahead! Good story!